Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Text to Help Japan

These are dark days. I go about my daily business as usual, but the frightening and heartbreaking news from Japan is there, all the time in the background. Everyone I know feels the same. We are safe here, but we are sad. We are grateful that this disaster spared us and those we love but painfully aware that others are suffering. We want to help.

Anna Saito, owner of Akira Sushi and Hibachi, a Japanese restaurant in Solon, has decided to personally thank people who act on that impulse, and encourage many more to do the same. Text a $10 donation to the Red Cross Japan Earthquake and Pacific Tsunami Fund, and you’ll be rewarded with a $15 certificate to use in her restaurant. It couldn’t be easier. Text the word “REDCROSS” to the number 90999 . Once your contribution is confirmed, you’ll automatically receive the gift card.

This is not the post I planned for today. But the world has changed in the past 72 hours. Saito called me early Tuesday morning asking me to spread the word about her offer. Feeling so powerless and overwhelmed, I’m grateful to her for giving me this small opportunity to be useful. Take the same opportunity for yourself: Please pass this information on to your family, friends and colleagues by way of social media, emails, phone calls and in conversations with the people sitting next to you.

No comments: