Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Life changing

Earlier, I promised a fanboy review of the Silver Jews concert this weekend at the Beachland Ballroom.

I've been trying to evangelize this band, passing out CDs of my favorite songs to neighbors, people on the bus, whomever. My neighbor Krista agreed to join us for Friday night's show. She said she listened to the music on iTunes the night before, found it a tad off-key and yet somehow beautiful. The lyrics were brilliant, she said, and she had to hear more. She said she loved it, and she would be buying some CDs. I said, "Was it a life-changing experience?" She hesitated, but then agreed.

Lead singer/writer David Berman is a tad awkward in concert, but that adds to the charm. After he got going, he really found his groove. He had most of the crowd won over before he even walked on stage. After the concert, his wife and the band's bassist, hung out with the fans after the show for a bit. I've met her once before, and she remembered me (including specific details) and even came by a tad later to say goodbye when she was leaving. It was a fanboy's dream come true.

The concert started with my favorite song, and I'll end this post with Berman: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDYSHXYfYiY

No comments: