Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Art of Exercise

Exercise is boring if you ask me. So I like to combine my efforts with food and culture.
That’s why my favorite weekend workout includes things like gelato and sculpture.
Here’s the routine. One a nice, sunny Saturday the husband and I suit up in t-shirts, jeans, and walking shoes. We hike from Cleveland Heights to University Circle, a round trip of about five miles. Sometimes we go through Lakeview Cemetery; otherwise we take the Mayfield Road route. There are hills to climb on the way home insuring some cardiovascular benefits. Our destination, now that it’s open once again, is usually the Cleveland Museum of Art . The renovated galleries are spectacular. The gorgeous colors on the walls and an abundance of natural light make the pieces pop. Familiar works are seen as if for the first time- very exciting. I was entranced by the 19th century marble Terpsichore, Muse of Choral Song and Dance in the Neoclassical Gallery. She looked as if she might step down from her pedestal and kick up her heels at any moment.
Back to the exercise plan. Our start time corresponds with lunch, so we stop at Presti’s Bakery for stromboli and a slice of pizza. Thus fortified we continue our exertions. We head home between 3 and 4 PM, the coffee-break hour. At this point there are serious decisions to be made- should we go to Corbo’s Bakery and Cafe for cappuccino and cannoli or Anthony’s for gelato? We have done it both ways and found each equally satisfying. Arriving home me and my guy feel righteous and pleased with ourselves. The cars stayed in the driveway. Leg muscles were engaged, and we burned calories (thus balancing those we consumed) rather than fossil fuel. Local businesses were supported. Our minds were expanded. But most important of all as far as I’m concerned- I enjoyed myself and that means this is one exercise regimen I’m likely to continue.

No comments: