Monday, March 16, 2015

A Boy's Life: Max Steiger




Max, a seventh-grader at Beachwood Middle School, lives with his mother, father and older sister in Beachwood. For each birthday, his parents take him to a different ethnic restaurant. So far, he’s tried Ethiopian, Indian, Thai, Chinese and Japanese cuisines.

My best day, I think it was last summer. We went to Virginia Beach with my dad’s sister and her family. That was really fun. We went to the ocean and there was one day where we were at the beach for the whole day, then came back to the condo and had a good dinner.

When I’m 22, I want to be somewhere, not just at home. I want to be in grad school or college, depending on what happens. I don’t want to just stay home, skip college and not learn a lot of stuff.

I want to be a lawyer. My dad is a lawyer, and it sounds cool. I’d like to be in court, or just do that kind of stuff. I think it would be fun. I mean, my dream profession is to be a professional sports player, but my realistic dream profession is to be a lawyer.

Everybody changes in high school. I don’t know if it will be for better or for worse, but I’ll be very busy with homework and everything. I don’t know if I’ll have time to be with other people, so that might be a big change when that happens.

In general, I’m afraid of heights. Of the future, I’m afraid I won’t be able to get a job and then I won’t be able to have a lot of money. Then I’ll live a bad life. I went to New York a couple years ago, and I saw the homeless people there. I felt really bad for them. I was thinking that I don’t want to have to live like that, because you’re living on the edge. You don’t have a second option basically. So I want to be able to have a second option. I want to be able to do a lot of the things that I want to do. — as told to Sheehan Hannan

[Editor’s Note: As an extension of the “A Boy’s Life” feature in Cleveland Magazine’s March issue, we will be publishing additional boys' stories on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays throughout the month. For all these stories, click on the “A Boy's Life” tag.]

No comments: