Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Michael Got the Medal



At last. No more “always a bridesmaid, never a bride” for Michael Symon. Nominated for a James Beard award before, he finally was named Best Chef for the Great Lakes region on Monday night. The recognition is well deserved, a tribute to both his astonishing culinary talents and years of hard work. It’s a big deal for him- the Oscar/Emmy/Grammy/Gold of the food world- and by extension for Cleveland. What can I say but YEAH!

I wasn’t in New York city for the ceremonial shindig, but I did get the news early in the evening thanks to Jonathan Sawyer, chef/owner of The Greenhouse Tavern. He sent me a text to land line message at 8PM. The Borglike voice said “Symon won Beard.” I was so excited I didn’t know what to do with myself. Went the James Beard Foundation website
and discovered they had people live blogging the event and posting videos. So I joined in the fuss and frolic vicariously via all the updates jamesbeard.org/blog/?cat=6&paged=8. Not anything like being there, but it was a way to connect.

On his blog last March, Symon wrote that he was honored just to be a Beard finalist. Imagine how thrilled he’s feeling today. And his good news is something we can all celebrate.
Great photo of Symon courtesy of Barney Taxel, Taxel Image Group

No comments: