Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Live Long and Prosper[ity]





I like the Prosperity Social Club in Tremont. A lot. It’s my kind of place from the neighborhood tavern vibe and well worn vintage furnishings to the drinkable, modestly priced wines on the little list and the really good food. I like the way upscale and its opposite come together seamlessly here, and I feel at ease amongst the clientele. a mixed bag of ages and attitudes . But I don’t go there often, in large part because I live on the other side of town. So I was so pleased when an old friend I hadn't seen in a long time suggested this as our meetup spot for some kicking back and catching up.

It was still Happy Hour when we settled in on bar stools so I was able to get a big glass of sangria for just $4.50, which led to a second. The mussels were just $3 a dozen. Hummus, stuffed grape leaves, potato pancakes and empanadas could all be had for a fiver until the clock struck 7 pm. It was also a Wednesday, and on Wednesdays Prosperity offers what they call Recession Relief, knocking $3 off the price of every entrée. Makes me hungry just thinking about this deal. Other nights have their own special perks: $5 cheeseburgers on Tuesdays and on Thursdays the $15.50 strip steak is just $10. Kitchen’s open late too.
And did I mention the game room? Oh, and the live music two nights a week? What it all adds up to is an affordable way to get out and socialize.
Photos by Jesse Kramer

No comments: